Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Ash Wednesday

Clay and I went to the Ash Wednesday service at our church (Riverchase Methodist) last night. They have multiple pastors, but one of the younger pastors did the service last night. I've always been a fan of his, but don't get to hear his sermons much because he generally does the Sunday morning contemporary service. Anyway, he had some great things to say last night about entering the Lenten season and preparing ourselves for the resurrection. He talked about giving things up for Lent and that some people even take on something new. I've given things up in the past for Lent, and considered giving something up this year. I thought and thought about what I should give up....chocolate, bread, cokes.....until I realized that when I give something up, I usually do it for me rather than doing it to remember the sacrifice of Jesus. So this year I'm going to try and DO something instead. I'm not 100% what that is yet, but even if it's just doing a couple of good things...that's better than nothing, right???

Just before we went to the alter to receive our ashes, he gave us a quick prayer to remember in case we ever didn't know what to pray about....it stuck with me.
"For all that has been, thanks. To all that will be, yes."

Another quick prayer request to add to Jessica and her family from yesterday. My dad's first cousin, Michael, is in the hospital in Jackson, MS, and is not doing well. He has pneumonia, swine flu, a staph infection, and is in an induced coma from what I understand. Please pray for his recovery and for his family....I can only imagine what they must be going through.

Happy Thursday and day 2 of the Easter Season!!! :)

2 comments:

  1. Two years ago our priest made a similar point on Ash Wednesday. So last year I simply added "pray every day" and for Sandner and me to pray together. We did great until Mary Lynne was born in the middle of Lent! :) I really love that perspective though because it's so true! Good luck deciding what to add and making and keeping it up until Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that prayer! Praying for your dad's cousin. Let me know what you decide to DO!

    ReplyDelete