
my PaPa on the left

the poem
I'm pretty sentimental when it comes to hand-made items. This should be a given for those of you who know me. I'm big on giving hand-made gifts for wedding/baby gifts. However, I will admit, that I'm pretty picky on who gets the good stuff. If I think/know that the person won't appreciate it, then I don't waste my time on something they won't treasure. Maybe that's a bad attitude to have....but oh well! Anyway, ever since my grandfather passed away in September of 2008, I've been battling with how to tell my Granny that I wanted her to make me some baby stuff, even though we aren't currently planning for a baby. I treasure all the times I've had with Granny, and wanted to make sure that I have some items for my children to remember her. I know it's a morbid thought, but I knew Granny would understand (and hopefully appreciate) where my thoughts were coming from. Well, I never worked up the nerve to tell her, but my mom did. This weekend when I got home, I had these waiting on me....


I love them....I'm tearing up just writing about it....I will forever treasure these and look forward to my Granny holding my sweet baby (boy or girl) in one of these precious blankets. Gotta quit while I'm ahead...otherwise I'll have tears all over the work that I need to be doing!! :)
Happy Monday!

Em those blankets are absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!! I'm dying to have time to try to teach myself something useful - ANYTHING. I made ML a bubble when I was pregnant, but I'm terrified to try to make something else. I don't know if I have the patience to mess up and fix it, and mess up and fix it. So it's good that you've actually learned from your Granny! I wish, wish, wish I had someone kind and patient to teach me all the fun things you can do! And now, not only can you pass the craft, but you can pass your sweet Granny's handmades down too! You're a lucky girl!
ReplyDeleteThanks...now I am crying and I have a meeting in 10 minutes. Those are precious! Will I ever be able to make anything that cute?
ReplyDeleteSo sweet. I love the blankets and I know your little one will be quite cozy in them! I am so grateful that my mom and my grandmother both made so many things for Emma. I love the handmade stuff!
ReplyDeleteEmily, Your mom encouraged me to view your blog, and I have to say, I'm impressed. I admire all of you who have the patience and talent to be so creative. I've always found it very interesting when attending baby or bridal showers everyone in attendance is really drawn to handmade items given to the mom-to-be or bride. Everyone sits around and examines, with great detail, each stitch oohing and aahing over the details and time it took to create such a treasure. If we all love and cherish these items so much, why don't we slow down long enough to learn the craft ourselves? Trust me, you'll be glad your grandmother is still here to teach you.
ReplyDeleteBy the way, I love your granny. She is sooo funny! And your mom is pretty cool too!!
Jane Woods
Atmore AL